Tooth decay and cavities are common oral health issues that can cause discomfort and lead to more serious problems if left untreated. However, there are several steps you can take to prevent them:
- Brush twice a day: Brushing your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste can help remove plaque and food particles that can cause tooth decay.
- Floss daily: Flossing once a day helps remove plaque and food particles that can get stuck between your teeth, where a toothbrush can’t reach.
- Use mouthwash: Using an antiseptic mouthwash can help kill the bacteria that cause tooth decay.
- Limit sugary and acidic foods: Foods and drinks high in sugar and acid can harm your teeth. Try to limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks, and rinse your mouth with water after eating.
- Drink plenty of water: Drinking water helps wash away food particles and neutralize the acid in your mouth.
- Visit your dentist regularly: Regular checkups and cleanings can help prevent and detect tooth decay early. Your dentist can also give you a fluoride treatment to strengthen your teeth.
By following these simple steps, you can help prevent tooth decay and cavities, and maintain good oral health.
Dr Hang Le and her team at My Fairfax Dental can help you prevent or treat the main causes of cavities and tooth decay. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and get the smile you deserve.