Tooth loss is a common problem that affects many people and can be caused by a variety of factors. Here are some of the main causes of tooth loss and how to prevent them:
- Tooth Decay: Tooth decay is the most common cause of tooth loss in adults. This occurs when bacteria in the mouth produce acids that eat away at the enamel and dentin of the teeth. To prevent tooth decay, it’s important to brush and floss regularly and limit sugary foods and drinks.
- Gum Disease: Gum disease is another leading cause of tooth loss. This occurs when plaque and tartar build up along the gum line and cause inflammation and infection. To prevent gum disease, it’s important to brush and floss regularly, eat a healthy diet, and see a dentist regularly for cleanings.
- Trauma: Physical injury, such as a blow to the mouth, can cause tooth loss. To prevent this type of tooth loss, it’s important to wear a mouth guard while playing sports.
- Grinding and Clenching: Grinding and clenching can wear down teeth and cause tooth loss over time. To prevent this, it’s important to address any stress or anxiety that may be causing the grinding and clenching, and to consider wearing a nightguard while sleeping.
- Poor Dental Hygiene: Neglecting to brush and floss regularly can lead to plaque and tartar build-up, which can ultimately cause tooth loss. To prevent this, it’s important to maintain a regular oral hygiene routine.
Tooth loss can be caused by a variety of factors, but with good oral hygiene habits and regular dental visits, it can often be prevented. If you take care of your teeth, they’ll take care of you!
Dr Hang Le and her team at My Fairfax Dental can help you prevent or treat the main causes of cavities and tooth loss. Contact us today to schedule an appointment and get the smile you deserve.